Positioned in the heart of our parish and dominated by the old Silk Mill, Galgate wraps around the A6, a former Turnpike road from the 18th century and important early trading route in the establishment of an integrated free market within the recently formed ‘United Kingdom’.
The derivation of its name is uncertain but may originate with the development of the Turnpike, from the Anglo-Saxon words, ‘Gael’ meaning Scotland and ‘Gata’ meaning road. Also referred to locally, and with some fondness as ‘Rhubarb City’, again the origin is unknown with local myth claiming rhubarb as a silk dying agent.
First settled in the Middle Ages and initially established around agriculture, in 1792 this was transformed when the local corn mill was repurposed to mechanically spin silk, becoming the first in the world to do so. Through continued investment, to the complex of buildings still seen today, the Silk Mill employed over 200 at its peak and remained successful until 1971, closing as the last silk mill in England.
Today, Galgate retains a thriving community centred about its village hall, recreation field, excellent primary school, two churches and local pubs. And well renowned for its traditional annual ‘Children’s Treat’ Fun Day, est. 1889 and ‘Gaslight’ Flower and Produce Show, est. 1861.
For information on local groups and events, please be sure to check the links in our Community section.